"You cannot stop people's tongues . . . the best thing to do is stop your own ears and never mind what was spoken."~ C.H. Spurgeon
I received this story from a friend the other day and it touched me SO much. You see, I received a comment on my blog that really upset me. I know better than to let things as small as this get me down, but when it comes to our infertility and our journey to be parents, I am very sensitive.
Here is the story...
As a young boy, his teachers thought him to be unteachable, perhaps retarded. His father and family physician wondered if he had suffered brain damage at birth. It seemed as though little Thomas was destined for nothing more than a subpar life. After all, he was not the brightest bulb in the box.
But that was not at all the case. From the invention of the electric light to the creation of the phonograph, Edison was anything but a failure. Despite what others thought of him, Thomas became one of the most well-known inventors in history. If Edison dwelled on the comments he received, we may not have the light bulb or the battery.
As believers, we too must learn to press on despite what others think. Whether someone makes a rude comment to be funny or a snide remark out of jealousy, their words can hurt. We begin to fret and dwell on the comments.
But God's Word tells us to be anxious for nothing. Instead of fretting, we are to bring our problems to the Lord. Perhaps someone made a comment to you that was hurtful. No matter how old you are, there will always be a person in your life who discourages you. Take all things to the Lord in prayer, even the little comments. Others may not think we are the brightest bulbs in the box, but to Jesus we shine like beacons.
But that was not at all the case. From the invention of the electric light to the creation of the phonograph, Edison was anything but a failure. Despite what others thought of him, Thomas became one of the most well-known inventors in history. If Edison dwelled on the comments he received, we may not have the light bulb or the battery.
As believers, we too must learn to press on despite what others think. Whether someone makes a rude comment to be funny or a snide remark out of jealousy, their words can hurt. We begin to fret and dwell on the comments.
But God's Word tells us to be anxious for nothing. Instead of fretting, we are to bring our problems to the Lord. Perhaps someone made a comment to you that was hurtful. No matter how old you are, there will always be a person in your life who discourages you. Take all things to the Lord in prayer, even the little comments. Others may not think we are the brightest bulbs in the box, but to Jesus we shine like beacons.
After reading this story, I realized that it is so true. I am trying my best to understand that until someone has walked in our shoes, they will never truly understand our journey of trying to have a baby. I hope that I can always be sympathetic to others and that my words will encourage and not hurt.
"Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."~ Philippians 4:6-7




















1 comment:
I'm so sorry that someone hurt you again...you don't deserve anything like that...I hope and pray it only makes you stronger!
Post a Comment