Friday, December 18, 2009

When You Work at an Arts School...

When we moved to Florida four years ago, I was very nervous because I hadn't landed a job. Although I had been in education for 10 years and had just obtained my Masters Degree in Educational Leadership, no one was hiring. My bachelors degree is in Dance and my minor is in Math, so it was always easy for me to get my foot in the door by teaching math. I was so thrilled to get a call the DAY before the students were to return back to school that a middle school close to our house needed a math teacher.


I worked at that middle school for a semester and FINALLY got a call to interview for an assistant principal position at two different schools. My first interview was with a large middle school where I would be responsible for the entire 6th grade class...approximately 250 students. The other interview was with the only performing and visual arts high school in Jacksonville. Because of my art (dance) background, the arts high school would definitely be my ideal choice. After a lot of prayer and two different interviews, I was offerd the job at Douglas Anderson School of the Arts.


I can't even begin to share with you how AWESOME this school is and how TALENTED all our students are. The best way for you to truly experience this, is to just take a tour of the school and see for yourself.


At Douglas Anderson, student enrollment is based on an audition. In January students can audition for up to two of the eight different art areas...Visual Arts, Creative Writing, Cinematic Arts, Piano, Instrumental Music, Vocal, Theatre, and Dance. I am telling you, our students are beyond TALENTED :)


This is my fourth year at Douglas Anderson and I can't imagine not working at a performing and visual arts school.


Okay...enough of the bragging and on to the real reason of this post...


Yesterday I received a beautiful gift from one of our students. A handmade, porcelain, Chinese vase...



Check out the exquisite detail...






I have several vases displayed on the top of our cabinets in the kitchen.


So I think I've found the perfect place for my new vase...


I guess receiving handmade artwork is just ONE of the perks when you work at an arts school.

5 comments:

Heather said...

So cool!!! I always love to see your decor- you have great taste!! Hope you have a good weekend! Praying for you!

Sonya said...

I taught in elementary school in Jacksonville several years ago (02-04) at Arlington Heights Elementary! I moved from IL to FL because there weren't many jobs here. I miss it down there, but if I hadn't come back to IL I wouldn't have met my husband and I can't imagine life without him! I haven't been back to Jacksonville since I left, but I really want to go back and visit! I'm glad you love the school that you're at! And what a great vase!

Anonymous said...

And WE'RE awfully glad you work at DA, too!!

TheFancyFritter said...

How neat! What a fun and special present!! :)

Its So Very Cheri said...

HOW COOL--my Dad is a retired artist from Hallmark Cards but does an artist ever really retire?

Thanks for posting
Cheri